Friday 13 September 2013

Art to cheer you up on a gloomy rainy day

Hello everyone,

Today it is raining like mad here in England. I love listening to the rain but the rain today is the kind of rain which is really fine so gets you soaked but doesn't have all the lovely sounds of 'proper' rain. The sky looks miserable and it is really chilly here too. All in all it is a rather gloomy day! So I was thinking of things that I could post on here which would cheer us all up and I thought what better than some beautiful art to share with you all.

I have picked paintings which are all very different but hopefully you will enjoy looking at.

This is a work by Henri Matisse called  View of Notre Dame, 1914. It is an oil on canvas work and is now in the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art)

This is one of my favourite art works. When I first started studying art history I was taken to the National Gallery to see some of the art works. This is one of pieces which really blew me away. It is a million times more beautiful when you see it up close and the colours are amazing. It is a portable altarpiece and was painted in c 1395. The artist is unknown and they also do not know if it is French or English. It is known as the Wilton Diptych. I have to stop myself rambling on here about how amazing this piece as I love it so much! Maybe I will write an art post soon on it :) 

Wheat Field with Cypresses - Vincent Van Gogh - 1889 - National Gallery - London


 Girl with Ball by Roy Litchenstein 1961. This is one of his earliest pop art pieces and is taken from an advert in the New York Times. It is now in the MOMA


Rain, Steam and Speed - The Great Western Railway which is a painting by  JMW Turner painted in 1844. It is now in the National Gallery in London.

Hope this cheered you up a little on this gloomy Friday afternoon and hope that you are all looking forward to the weekend ahead. Have a great one!

The Dorothy Days X

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm..."proper" rain :) It's raining here to but it's much needed. Thank you for sharing these artwork. I learn much from you. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I spoke too soon as it tipped it down afterwards!! Pleased that you learnt something new, I always aim to learn something new each day :). Thanks for stopping by my blog and I hope to post some more art themed posts soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment (it makes me smile!)

Thank you!